Friday, August 11, 2006

Privatizing Higher Ed

The Commission on the Future of Higher Education published its final report yesterday. I'm down in New Orleans, so I haven't had a chance to read it and will post when I have. The Times focuses on the calls for increased federal grants (great), standardized tests (!) and federal monitoring (!!) of colleges (David Horowitz and his uber-Orwell "Students" for Academic "Freedom" must be thrilled).

ON the tests, I'll quote a correspondent from my email inbox:

I'm totally against state standardized tests. It will erode the integrity of higher education just like it
has to early education. The government needs to learn that it can't stick it's nose into everything. Let
the market determine the strengths and weaknesses of our higher education system and allow it to adjust
accordingly or perish.

No comments: