Monday, July 25, 2005

Rich Little Poor Kids

My newest Generation Debt story has been up for three days and I've already gotten three emails about it, which is pretty good. The topic, kids with trust funds, was originally suggested by my editor. It's an interesting twist on the usual Gen Debt column. The wealthiest young people obviously don't share the same material problems that are common to most of us, yet they have similar emotional problems of feeling dependent and sometimes directionless.

What really surprised me about this story was how hard it was to find subjects. People didn't want to talk to me, and when they did, they were often cagy--and I was really surprised to find myself being overly sensitive, even deferential, to them! They were far more concerned with their anonymity than the welfare moms or anyone else I've interviewed. Money and class have a potency in our society that you can't really feel until you address them directly.
Let me know what you thought of the story.
Anya Kamenetz

No comments: