Thursday, October 18, 2007

Generation Debt: The Gawker Version

I think I will have to adopt the Gawker folks. They are definitely warriors in the GenDebt cause. (Thanks for the generous acknowledgement guys! Although I guess I should just be happy they don't mock me. That's basically a hug in their world.)

Who Will Crush My Generation's Dreams Already?

At heart, "Generation Lost," as I call them, is stuck in an extended adolescence, refusing to come to grips with reality. This "Generation Blank," as I also call them, refuses to support itself because all its members are selfish praise-junkies who don't know the meaning of hard work and self-sacrifice.
Or hell maybe they're all still leaning on their folks because the boomer middle-class dream was revealed as a vicious scam and the social safety net was spent and legislated away by our parents once they got theirs? Who knows!

In the end, though, you don't really need to worry about any of this if you don't feel like it.

So will Gen Y be able to deal with the realities of kids-and-a-mortgage adulthood? The answer is that they probably won't do any better--or worse--than their parents did.
Ha ha ha sure, we'll do just fine with our student loans and shitty credit and subprime mortgages and service industry jobs.

No comments: