Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Say it with me: Pri! orities!

"At the end of the day, I believe you'll be at least satisfied, or even perhaps happy," with the new higher education appropriations bill, Representative John Boehner, chairman of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, told an appreciative audience on Monday. "Know that I have all of you in my two trusted hands."
Was he speaking to students? Of course not. It was an audience of student lenders unhappy with the proposed cuts in their federal subsidies. Cuts to higher ed are now up to $20 billion in the Senate bill.
According to the Chronicle of Higher ed (sub. req.):
"In his speech to the bankers, Mr. Boehner said he would push to roll back some of the proposed cuts. He wasn't specific but said, "I've got enough rabbits up my sleeve" to produce a bill that would not be harmful to lenders."

No comments: